Polka Dot

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Knowledge #3

Memorize Article of Faith number thirteen and recite it to a parent, a leader, or another adult. Then visit a museum or exhibit or attend a performance that involves dance, music, speech, or drama. Using this article of faith as a guide, evaluate what you saw and heard. In your journal write your thoughts about how you can use this article of faith as a guide for all you do so the Holy Ghost will be your constant companion. Share those thoughts with a parent or leader.


Memorizing was the easy part, because I already had it memorized from when I was in Primary.  So thanks to my Merrie Miss teacher and the primary song, memorizing it in my old age doesn't have to happen. :)

I recently attended a So You Think You Can Dance show.  It was a lot of fun, and I really enjoyed the dancing and music.  It always amazes me the power that music and dance can have over me.  This shows me how carefully I must choose what I watch and listen to.  If I want the Holy Ghost to dwell with me, I need to make sure that I am only listening to and watching things that are "virtous, lovely, or of good report or praisworthy."

As I evaluate the show, I saw some good things and some not so good things.  I felt like some of the music was appropriate and clean.  I noticed that during these songs I felt emotions that made me feel happy.  There were a few songs that were somewhat sexual in nature that pushed the spirit away.  The dancing often reflected the music.  The clean songs tended to have appropriate dancing, while the songs that were dirty had inappropriate dancing.  Most of the costumes were not modest.  It seems that showing stomachs, shoulders, and cleavage has become appropriate in the dance world.  I would love to see costumes that covered them up a bit more.  Overall, I felt like the show was something that would invite the spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment